Turkey Day is right around the corner…3 days away! Yay! We are so excited to go visit our family in San Diego. Mostly for the time with loved ones, but also to get away from this Chicago weather for a few days. It’s forecasted to be 80 degrees in San Diego on Thursday (as I look at the window and see snow falling in Chi Town). That’s just crazy! Weird to think I won’t need my down coat–well until I step foot back into O’hare.
Below is an outfit that felt very “Cali” to me…no jacket necessary, sunglasses for when you sip your Cranberry Margarita by the pool. Then probably get too hot in these leather leggings and ditch them for a swim suit. Bring it on.
:::What you see above:::
Headband:::Forever 21, $6.90
Knit Sweater:::H&M, $29.95
Statement Necklace:::Target, $19.99
Wine Leather Leggings:::She-Fashions, $28.83
Sunglasses:::Warby Parker, $95
Leather Satchel:::GAP, $70
Steve Madden Bootie:::DSW, $69.95
Recipe to the Cranberry Margarita:::FREE
Happy Thanksgiving! I have so much to be thankful for, it’s slightly overwhelming. Praise God.
Enjoy your holiday everyone and happy adventures!
We celebrated our 1 YEAR wedding anniversary on October 24th! It feels like yesterday that we were saying our vows…that’s so cliché but so unbelievably true. I’m sure I’ll say that every year. Jake had never been to New Orleans, and I had been once on a layover. He picked the location about a week before, we found this Airbnb and off we went!
NOLA felt like another country to me. Only a two hour plane ride, and it seemed like we were transported to another world. This is why I say that–the food is like nothing I have ever eaten, the people are unique (friendly, eclectic, and move to the beat of their own drum), and the buildings and homes stand out in color, shape and size. I loved it.
Our trip ended up going like this:
- Early morning arrival, taxi to Airbnb (All taxis are a flat rate $33 for 1-2 people, no meters involved)
- Drop suitcases at the home and cruise on our complimentary bikes to the French Market.
- Grab an ice cream Daiquiri at the Gazebo Cafe.
- Stroll the streets of the French Quarter.
- Chow down on some Gumbo, Jambalaya, Red beans & Rice and Fried Chicken at Coop’s Place for lunch.
- Stop at every corner to listen, as the Jazz fills your ears.
- Ride back to our Airbnb to freshen up (we heard people stay out to 3-4am, so we had to get prepared).
- Hit Frenchmen Street all night long, hopping from bar to bar. *You will be amazed at all the talent and variety!!
- We had our late night dinner at a Cafe Negril–which is a bar with awesome music and food was surprisingly delicious! Shrimp Tacos…yum yum.
- Between the two nights, we probably hit most of the spots on this street… the BMC (Balcony Music Club) had a great line up. The drinks are priced a little too high there, but the band was incredible.
- Start the morning at Cafe Du Monde for a pile of powder sugar and a delicious French donut (famous for their coffee and beignets).
- Explore a new neighborhood. We rode to the neighborhood of Bywater.
- They were having the Mirliton Festival that weekend. Who knows what a Mirliton is? Not me…guess it’s a vegetable! Ha
- The festival was dedicated to this forgotten vegetable! All the food dishes had it creatively used, there was even a guy dressed up as a Mirliton! It was awesome. More Jazz, art, jewelry and unique finds too!
- We spent a lot of the morning and afternoon getting to know Bywater…staring at homes, perusing shops and always eating & drinking.
- Next, it was time for Oysters at ACME. Just do it. (Also the Seafood Étouffée was phenomenal).
- More exploring and a few French Market purchases later, we were coming to the end of our second night.
- The Frenchmen Street was still the scene on the second night too. They also had a little ‘market’ in a parking lot off of Frenchman St. Where again, you can find little handmade treasures to take home as souvenirs!
Overall, an awesome place to celebrate, forget about work, and surround yourself with sunshine and good people. Move New Orleans to the top of your destination wish list!
<Here are the pictures that follow the events from above>